Poorly Located Monument record BRD 396 - Brandon General, Brandon, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 78 86 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Many palaeoliths, mostly hand-axes, are recorded from `Brandon' or `near Brandon'.
The majority probably derive from the Brandon Fields pit, BRD 058. For list of locations, see (S1,S2).
Palaeolithic implements from Brandon are published in (S7-S9, S3, S4).
Other supposed inter-glacial implements, many of which are probably natural in origin, are published in (S7-S12, S3, S4), and include a supposed flake implement `from top of boulder clay, Brandon' from J R Moir ex Kenworthy Collection No. 185, in IPSMG (S5).
See also BRD 058, 059, 061 & 062.
Formerly recorded as BRD MISC
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, Brandon Pal, undated.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Brandon General, undated.
- <S4> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 257.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1936-99.10.
- <S6> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22752.
- <S7> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S8> SSF1297 Source Unchecked: ND. BM Guide to Stone Age, 8,21. BM Guide to Stone Age, 8,21.
- <S9> SSF16617 Source Unchecked: Proc Norwich Geol Soc, 1, 164. Proc Norwich Geol Soc, 1, 164.
- <S10> SSF11157 Source Unchecked: ND. Memoirs of Geological Survey on the manufacture of Gunflints. Memoirs of Geol Survey on the manufacture of Gunflints, 68.
- <S11> SSF16559 Bibliographic reference: Prehistoric Europe,. Prehistoric Europe, 263.
- <S12> SSF11372 Source Unchecked: Miller, S.H. & Skertchley, S.B.J.. Fenland,. Miller & Skertchley, Fenland, 546.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2020 11:46AM