Monument record BUN 017 - Outney Common
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3308 9014 (212m by 186m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
"Earthwork" (site of). OS 1:10560 shows an "L" shaped earthwork with arms circa 50m long on Outney Common to the N of the railway. Now quarried away (FDC F1 2 April 1968).
Quadrangular Rom post, three sides remaining 1830 (R1). Copy in parish file 1985, disappeared 1985. I remember you saying you were interested in the earthworks on Bungay Common through which the bypass is going to pass. There is an interesting account and maps of these, as they were in 1829 in the Woodward correspondence, Vol 3, 20-34 onwards (in NWHCM)(S2).
Linear earthworks of unknown date and function are visible on aerial photographs at the southern entrance of Outney Common, Bungay parish, centred approximately on TM 330901. The earthworks appear to have been used as parking bays for the military camp immediately to the north during the Second World War (see BUN 084) and may previously have been associated with the 'Grandstand' marked on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map of Circa 1904 (S). However, it is likely that the earthworks predate this period, and their location to the north of Bungay village would support the interpretation of some form of encroachment onto Outney Common, possibly as warrens or the establishment of crofts. (S2-S5)
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM39SW(M), undated.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy of letter from Rose E to Ashbee P, 26/9/1978.
- <R1> SSF689 (No record type): Archaeologia, 23, 367.
- <S2> SSF11683 (No record type): NAU (Rose Edwin J), letter to Ashbee P, 26/9/1978.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/465 3199-200 20-APR-1951.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/5942 (F21) 103-4 27-SEP-1963.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2006 12:00AM