Find Spot record BUN 124 - Bungay General, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 32 90 (256m by 231m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1859: Small palaeolith from Bungay (from W G Clarke collection, 32.926 per Friends of Norwich Museum). To Ipswich Museum by exchange with Norwich Museum (S1). A Palaeolithic flake implement found at Bungay is listed by Roe (S3). This is dismissed by Wymer (s5
Wymer (S4) records this as a handaxe and that BUN 125 is a duplicate record and were likely found at the same spot as BUN 114. However in a duplicate of this rceord (BUN 176) the find location was considered to be the former pit on the west of the common.
Formerly recorded as BUN MISC
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 962-233, 1962.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM38NW23, 1978.
- <S3> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites. 263.
- <S4> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22702.
- <s5> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 147.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2019 3:35PM