Monument record SOL 014 - Site of probably medieval to post medieval field boundaries and land divisions
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4860 9680 (367m by 423m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Assorted cropmarks around disused sewage beds and pumping station at the head of a small coombe, including possible small (circa 40 x 50m) irregular enclosure (S1).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Boundaries relating to probable medieval to post medieval field divisions are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S2)-(S4), centred at TM 4863 9680. The field pattern defined by the cropmarks is likely to be the same as that depicted on an estate map of Somerleyton dating to 1652 (S5). Similar boundaries are visible as earthworks within Somerleyton Park (SHER SOL 015, MSX27299). The cropmarks described above are not thought to be of archaeological origin and have not been mapped.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF11696 (No record type): NAU, AP AMD 19.
- <M1> SSF39096 (No record type): AP: NAU AMD 19.
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/LA/21 RS 4056-4057 04-JUL-1944 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Norfolk County Council BKS 8765-8766 (NCC 1953-1954) 06-AUG-1988.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 02-JUL-2006 ACCESSED 07-JAN-2014.
- <S5> SSX55044 Map: 1652. 1652 Estate Map of Somerleyton.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 8:32AM