Monument record FRS 017 - Hazlewood Aerodrome
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4383 5886 (487m by 654m)|
|Civil Parish||FRISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The site of a World War I airfield is visible as earthworks and an extant building west and north of Grange Farm. There are a number of probable building sites as well as an extant building at TM 437586 and a trackway leads off northwards to the other principal part of the site, at TM 439591, where the main feature is the apparent site of two large rectangular buildings, which presumably represents the site of hangers (S1-4).
An RNAS Night Landing Ground was commissioned at Aldeburgh in October 1915 and was known as Hazlewood Aerodrome. In 1918, the newly formed RAF decided to convert the airfield into an Anti-Submarine Patrol Observers' School, requiring the extension of the airfield and the construction of a more extensive camp. A light railway was also built from the Aldeburgh Brickworks jetty to the airfield. However, the work was never totally completed and the airfield went out of service in 1919 (S5).
The two large rectangular buildings have apparently now (2012) collapsed.
A series of concrete footings were reported by a member of the public, relating to the location of camp buildings (S6).
2013: These concrete blocks have now been removed (S7).
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5049-5050.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 3259-3260.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/72057 27-29.
- <S4> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Roger Thomas, English Heritage Military Recording Officer.
- <S5> SXS50089 Monograph: Geoff Dewing. 1998. Air Station Aldeburgh 1915-1919.
- <S6> SSF54962 Unpublished document: Mrs S.M . Barnard. 7/6/2011. Concrete installation in field near Friston, Suffolk TM439 590.
- <S7> SSF55217 Digital archive: 2013. Mrs S.M . Barnard, 2013, Concrete installation in field near Friston, Suffolk TM439 590.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 15 2013 2:03PM