Monument record DUN 049 - Various features and ecnlosures of unknown dat, visible as cropmarks, also ridge and furrow earthworks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47575 72016 (286m by 600m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
An area of ridge and furrow can be seen as earthworks in a field to the north of Dunwich on aerial photographs from 1945 (S1). The furrows are relatively regular and are c4m apart, thus suggesting possible post medieval or modern date. By the 1970s, the field which contained the ridge and furrow had been cleared of the scrub visible on the photographs, and was being cultivated again. Cropmarks can been seen in this field and the field adjacent on aerial photographs from June 1973 (S2). They seem to be showing a possible trackway, which seems to be crossing some kind of rectilinear enclosure, at least 35m wide. Other enclosures are visible in the field adjacent to the south, one seems to be large and curvilinear and another which is sub rectangular. The date and function of these features is unknown. The features in the more northerly field are also visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs from June 1981 (S3).
January 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks described above are visible over a larger area than previously recorded, comprising the previously recorded trackway (SHER DUN 028) and a possible field system visible as cropmarks on oblique photography (S4). Further cropmarks, including a possible ring ditch, are visible on vertical aerial photography (S5) in the area but it is hard to be certain of their extent since they are only visible on one set of photographs. Faint and ephemeral cropmarks are also visible on another photograph (S6).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 29th January 2015.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms3122-3123 16-Oct-1945.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/73333 Frms043-044 23-Jun-1973.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/81028 Frms028-029 22-Jun-1981.
- <S4> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. SFU 11560/GD/2 15-JUL-1977 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. CUCAP RC8AQ 35-36 04-JUN-1974 (Print).
- <S6> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. CUCAP CFB 19 20-JAN-1978 (Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM47SE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF22912)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2015 3:31PM