Monument record TYN 103 - Possible Post Medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs to the north-west of Morston Hall, Trimley St Martin parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 25760 38692 (501m by 320m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Three possible Post Medieval field boundaries are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 25693874 in fields to the north-west of Morston Hall in Trimley St Martin parish. Two of the field boundaries are visible as slightly curvilinear ditches running roughly from east to west between the modern field boundaries. The third is also curvilinear and runs roughly north to south. These boundaries are well defined and would fit roughly into the Post Medieval field pattern as seen on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" map of circa 1884 (S1) and also into the pattern of field boundaries just to the west as seen on the 1791 plan of Stratton Hall estate (S2). To the south-east of the boundaries, centred on TM5773855 close to the modern farm, other ditched features are visible as cropmarks and these may be related to earlier structures associated with the farm. (S3-S6)
See TYN 053 for possible barrow site and TYN 066 for undated cropmarks to the east. (S7)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50128 Map: Isaac Johnson. 1791. 1791 plan of Stratton Hall estate by Isaac Johnson. IRO Isaac Johnson Collection HD11/475.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 3035-3036 06-JUL-1944.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/1 (956/308) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S5> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BNL71) 22-JUN-1973.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2538/10 (4506/47) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 13/02/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2021 9:06PM