Monument record CHL 050 - Possible Post Medieval field boundaries and trackways, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 21138 37016 (580m by 598m)|
|Civil Parish||CHELMONDISTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
The possible remains of Post Medieval field boundaries and trackways are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 21113699 to the south-east of Chelmondiston village. One field boundary is also visible as a soilmark to the north of the road. The linear ditches probably represent where hedged field boundaries and trackways have been removed and cover an area of around 0.19 square km. All the boundaries appear to fit into the pattern of Post Medieval field boundaries as seen on the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd edition 25" maps of circa 1884 and 1904 (S1) (S2) though the ditches at the western side of the modern track, centred on TM 20983704, appear to be of a different nature to those to the east, centred on TM 21313686. The cropmarks appear to continue to the south but these have not been recorded as they are located well outside the project area. (S3-S6)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/633 Pt III 5082-5083 18-APR-1951.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 1F22 0355-0356 23-JUL-1963.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2036/2 (826/368) 07-JUL-1975.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2137/4 (1657/380) 12-JUL-1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2013 10:16AM