Monument record ARW 060 - Remnants of the probable Post Medieval landscape.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 21472 34707 (1257m by 519m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Probable remnants of the Post Medieval landscape are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 21683471 in fields to the north of Erwarton village. A number of the field boundaries and enclosures are depicted on the Erwarton estate map of 1770 (S1) including the field boundaries at TM 21663487 and TM 22073492 and an elongated rectilinear enclosure centred on TM 21643469. The enclosure measures 30m by at least 150m and is cut by another larger rectilinear enclosure which is not depicted on the map but which is probably also of Post Medieval origin. Other areas of possible Post Medieval field boundaries and enclosures not shown on any of the historic maps also include the field boundaries and possible rectilinear enclosures visible at TM 21043450 and TM 21923479 and the linear ditches and possible rectilinear enclosure centred on TM 21923479 which may be former plot boundaries or possibly modern agricultural features. (S1-S7) See ARW 002 for the possible Later Prehistoric or Roman landscape. (S8)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK38) 03-JUL-1967.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/3 (956/411) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/4 (SFU 11565/GK/7) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/5 (SFU 11569/GL/11) 03-AUG-1977.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/7 (3116/1134) 08-JUL-1986.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/10 (4851/03) 08-JUL-1993.
- <S7> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2134/11 (EXC 16926/15) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S8> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 16/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:50PM