Find out more about .

Suffix 21295
Date assigned 08 December 1993
Date last amended


The monument, which is also known locally as Cromwell's Mount, is located at or close to the northern boundary of Staverton Park as shown in a map of 1601. It includes an earthwork situated near the foot of a gentle north-facing slope and backing onto a peat-filled valley, now drained. The earthwork is most visible as a low, curving bank and external ditch, facing the slope and defining the south, west and east sides of a D-shaped semi-enclosure whose internal dimensions are approximately 60m north west - south east by 38m north east - south west. A further, slighter, outer bank and ditch are also visible to the south. The inner bank, constructed largely of sand quarried from the ditch, has slumped over the inner edge of the ditch but survives to a maximum height of 1m on the south side, diminishing to north west and north east. The ditch, which has become partly infilled and is now between 0.5m and 1m deep below ground surface level, has been shown by limited excavations carried out in 1910 to have been originally shallow and flat-bottomed, measuring 7m-9m wide and about 1.2m deep. The width of bank and ditch together is between 15m and 25m. Approximately 15m to the south of the outer edge of the ditch and parallel to it is another, slighter bank approximately 0.3m high and a second ditch, originally about 5m wide and of similar depth to the first, now marked by a hollow 0.4m deep in the ground surface. These have a combined width of approximately 15m north - south and extend over approximately 80m east-west. The overall dimensions of the earthworks are approximately 92m east-west by 85m north-south. On the south side of the earthwork is an entrance, marked by a gap in the centre of the inner bank and a corresponding causeway across the ditch. There is no evidence of earthworks on the north side of the enclosure, which would have been bounded by the marshy ground of the valley bottom. Evidence of medieval occupation includes pottery, chiefly of 12th and 13th century date, which was found by exavation in deposits within the enclosure and underlying the bank and, more recently, by fieldwalking of the interior.

External Links (2)

Sources (1)

  • Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file.



Grid reference Centred TM 3541 5121 (114m by 110m)
Map sheet TM35SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (5)

Record last edited

Jul 20 2012 3:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.