Monument record WNN 008 - Staverton Park (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 355 507 (1618m by 1259m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EYKE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WANTISDEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Staverton Park, including relic of original woodland. Area defined as per maps 5 & 6 of John Norden, 1601. Probably created as deer park C11-C13 (S1)(S2). Said to have been marked by Med boundary bank (S1). Earliest reference is in 1275 (Hundred Rolls) though probably first emparked in 1178 when Pipe Rolls record a sharp increase in rent to the King. During the C13 records of Staverton Park show that bark was stripped from the felled oaks and sold for tanning leather, acorns were sold for fattening pits, wood sold for timber and fuel and, also, grazing rights let for sheep and stock. Later, probably the C16 many of the standing oaks were first pollarded and subsequently at 50 year intervals. Details in (S2).
Landscape feature shown on pre 1800 map (S3).
See also (R3).
- <R1> SSF12091 (No record type): Norden J, maps showing the estates of Sir Michael Stanhope, 1601.
- <S1> SSF2907 (No record type): Buisseret D, `Perambulating the County of Suffolk (England) with John Norden, 1600', Mapline, 63, Au.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Sudbourne)(S1).
- <S2> SSF22078 (No record type): The History of Staverton Park, Annon, ms, May 1993.
- <R2> SSF23235 (No record type): Williamson T, Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk..
- <R3> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF50054 Map: Anon, True description & survey of manors etc of Staverton, 1600-1, SRO(I) HD 88/4/1.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2010 11:56AM