Monument record IKL 004 - Bronze Age Barrow Bernersfield Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7894 7529 (30m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Round barrow, part of group of (?8) - see IKL 002-003, 005, 049 and 072-074. Recorded on Hodskinson's map of Suffolk 1783 (S1) and OS 1st edition, 1843 (S2).
1871: Excavated by Henry Prigg (S3)(R2). Henry Prigg excavated each of the four (recognisable) barrows, IKL 003, 004, 005 & ? 073 in July 1866 (largest)(S9), Autumn 1871 (two tumuli adjacent to the `westernmost of the group') and September 1872 (westernmost)(S9)(R2). It is not clear which was the `largest', but this is presumed to be IKL 005 or the `westernmost' (either 003 or 073), which is presumed to be IKL 073. No details of the excavations of the two adjacent tumuli east, other than a reference to Henry Prigg junior - "who, it may be remembered, at this time last year explored the two adjacent ones of the series" (S10)(R2).
1935: 30- 35 yards diameter, 2- 3 ft high (S4). 1954: "Mound 2- 3 ft high" (S8).
1962: Diameter 35m, NE- SW by 31m transversely, 1. 1m high. Turf covered, NW side mutilated by track and fence, in ground lately re- afforested (S5). 90 ft diameter, 3 ft high. In hedge with young firs, difficult to assess measurements (S6).
1976: Diameter 23m, 0.64m high, grassed on edge of afforested area (S6)(S7). 1977: 35m NE-SW by 31.0m transversely by 1.1m high. In forestry belt. NW side mutilated by fence & track (S5).
1981: Planted with young firs, difficult to assess measurements (S6). April 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S6).
June 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A Bronze Age barrow can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S10-S11). The round barrow can be seen as an earthwork clearly in the 1950s and is under an area of trees on recent (2007) imagery (S11). The feature is part of a group of round barrows with a barrow to the north east (IKL 005), a possible ploughed out barrow to the north (IKL 074) and a further group of three barrows (IKL 002, IKL 003, IKL 072) to the west.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th June 2019.
- <M1> SSF47079 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF7194 (No record type): Grinsell L V, Ancient Burial Mounds of England, 1936, 183.
- <S1> SSF7547 (No record type): Hodskinson J, Map of Suffolk 1783, Suff Rec Soc Reprint, 15, 1972.
- <S1> SSF9964 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
- <S2> SSF12432 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st ed, 1843.
- <R2> SSF2980 (No record type): Bury & Norwich Post, September 17, 1872.
- <M2> SSF47080 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Lackford) transcription of (S9); copy (S3).
- <S3> SSF9964 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
- <S4> SSF12173 Museum Record Card: Norwich Castle Museum. Various?. NWHCM.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE10D.
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. list.
- <S8> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, undated.
- <S9> SSF16591 (No record type): Prigg H, Notebook No. 2, SRO (Bury), Acc No. 1202, 1866 entry.
- <S10> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/2688 F22 0051-0052 25-JAN-1959 (HEA Original Print).
- <S11> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-AUG-2007 ACCESSED 18-SEP-2013 (Digital).
- <S12> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Prigg H (Ref: Prigg H) (ESF15993)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (MWT) (Ref: DOE (MWT)) (ESF13980)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF14024)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (PAS) (Ref: OS (PAS)) (ESF14017)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Phillips A S) (Ref: OS (Phillips A S)) (ESF13904)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF14005)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 10:12AM