Monument record LKD 026 - Gravel Pit Hill (Tithe); Bunkers Barn
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7735 7014 (174m by 113m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Probable location of "ancient cemetery" in gravel pit partially excavated by Prigg in 1867.
Described as "midway between Lackford and Cavenham on the W side of the high road connecting the two places. Stands on Off Hand Farm" (Field Barn on Tithe, now Bunkers Barn), " - in front on this the ground is broken from having been dug into for gravel at sundry times." Tithe map names this site as Gravel Pit Hill.
Describes discovery of 2 "urns" standing "upright" and "remains of the funeral pyre. The urns were in both cases rude in form/material - hand made rough and without ornament and of medium size". Sketches of two "urns" could be prehistoric but probably Sax. Records one as 5 ins high, 7 ins diameter, 23 ins circumference, "drum shaped, cylindrical, indeed as if it was only a clay lining to a hole". Reports no finds from N side of the grounds but excavated two possible `urn holes' and "another that had the appearance of a section of a grave", without making any finds. "A labourer there, said that at one time there were a great many pots found in the pit, but that he thought they had run out now". Also reports finding "a good and well made leaf-shaped flint flake" (leaf arrowhead?)(S1).
Note also pot & tweezers from Bunkers Barn - see Misc, CRN 04886.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 5 1998 12:00AM