Monument record IKL 018 - Horselands Field; Roman Villa SW of Weatherhill Farm (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7806 7204 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Villa within Scheduled large Rom complex - see IKL 020, sited at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) according to (S2) after (R4) & (S6) but is positioned at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1). However, Prigg gives the position of the site as being in "the west corner of a field known as the `Horselands'" (S7), which suggests OS location probably correct.
Apparently first discovered by ploughman turning up "a red tile or two", which "aroused the curiosity of the tenant, Mr Martin, who caused an excavation to be made upon the spot". Brief excavations located part hypocaust and wall of building and coin of Gratian "in soil just above pilae...". Later excavated by Prigg.
1877: Excavations by Prigg revealed a room with hypocaust, 17 ft x 25 ft internally and 3 small adjoining rooms. Further walling projected to the SE but "following for a few feet, they were found to have been demolished, nor in the course of more recent excavations could their continuation be hit upon". Further deliberate dismantling suggested in places by removal of tiles & relative absence of materials from superstructure and dated to latter half of C4 (Prigg cites C5 in error). Surviving floors in small rooms of plaster or tile set on hard mortar/concrete. Finds from excavation include coins, "all small brass", including small hoard of 33 including Magna Urbicu (AD 282-285) on a wall & 1 Carausius (AD 286-293) in room. Also "various kinds of pottery" and animal bone and "an iron axe-head of a type decidedly Saxon" (S1)(S2)(R1)(R2)(R3).
Circa 1940: Eight Rom coins (AD 330-375) "from the Icklingham Villa site" given to OXFAS by farmer, Major Lucas - find dates not stated. Now in IPSMG (S4).
October 1951: Building material, many coins & decorated Samian sherds found in area directly NE of villa (S2)(S5). Further details in Briscoe archive? 1977: "Identifiable as a slight rectangular rise, approximately 30m NE-SW and 20m tranversely.... sherds, ...brick & tile in association with large flint nodules" (S2).
1978: Metalwork including three keys (S3). (Details stolen in Autumn 1981).
- <S1> SSF16571 Monograph: Prigg, H.. 1901. Icklingham Papers: The Roman House at Ickligham. Prigg H, Icklingham Papers, 1901, 72-75, plan, map.
- <R1> SSF16583 (No record type): Prigg H, Journ Brit Arch Assoc, 33, 1877, 221.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report 1978 (stolen Autumn 1981), copy (S7).
- <R2> SSF16584 (No record type): Prigg H, Journ Brit Arch Assoc, 34, 1878, 12-15, plan.
- <M2> SSF46736 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE10.
- <M3> SSF46737 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Finds Report, stolen Autumn 1981.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 309.
- <R4> SSF12905 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, 1905.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards 1972-1974.
- <S5> SSF11314 (No record type): MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, Oct 1951.
- <S6> SSF12877 (No record type): OS, 25 inch map, 1904.
- <S7> SSF10120 (No record type): Journ Brit Archaeol Assoc, 33, 1877, meeting of 21 Mar, 221.
- <S8> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- FSF23096: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23097: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23098: VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23099: COIN HOARD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23100: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23101: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23102: AXEHEAD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23103: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF23104: KEY (LOCKING) (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF31704: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 24 2012 12:17PM