Monument record BSE 068 - Eastgate Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8577 6437 (36m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
East Gate of Bury St Edmunds, site of. Shown on Thomas Warren's 1776 map of Bury (S1).
The East Gate was erected at the bottom of Mustow (Street) and if we are to believe Tymm's 'Handbook of Bury St Edmunds' (R1), there was an All Souls Gate, higher up Eastgate Street (S2).
Several of the gates of Bury were sketched by Thomas Martin, FSA, about 1750 (S2).
Documentary evidence records that Abbot Anselm (1121-1148) built stone walls around the town and the abbey precinct (S3).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S2).
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Tymms, Handbook of Bury St Edmunds (7th ed), 1897, 126.
- <S1> SSF5503 (No record type): EAA, 1, 1975, 53, fig 30 (copy of Warren's map).
- <S2> SSF50058 Bibliographic reference: Newspaper Article. Bury Post, 'Random Roamings - Last Relic of the Borough Walls', 12 October 1928, 3.
- <S3> SSF54233 Bibliographic reference: Margaret Statham. 1996. The Book of Bury St Edmunds. 2nd ed. p13.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2012 11:37AM