Monument record WLV 012 - Possible Iron Age or Roman field system, originally thought to be a cropmark of a small rectangular enclosure, suggested as a possible … (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1930 3827 (1831m by 1877m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmark of small rectangular enclosure, suggested possible Rom building. Overlaps a rectilinear double ditched system (S1).
Fieldwalking produced only a few coarse ware sherds, both Rom and C13/C14 Med (S2).
September 1991: Fieldwork (due to new sewage pipeline) produced finds scatter, one small patch of heavily burnt flints c.1m diameter, also 2 possible hearths. Finds scatter include Ipswich sherds and C13/C14 sherds (S3).
1996: Better cropmarks allow re-interpretation and suggested building and enclosure as trackways and field boundaries (S4). On different and earlier(!) alignments to existing boundaries - probably pre-emparkation (see WLV 024). Also see WLV 024 (Un) for another series of trackways and field system.
See also Sax & Med.
A possible Iron Age or Roman field system visible as cropmarks of ditches was mapped as part of the Suffolk Coastal NMP project from aerial photograph (S4) and the features were not interpreted as a Roman building although (S1) was not consulted as part of the project. For a full description of the site see WLV 024. (S5)
- <S1> SSF11037 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Ida, AP & letter.
- <M1> SSF45420 (No record type): AP: McMasters Ida, copy.
- <S2> SSF18230 (No record type): SAU Newman J, fieldwork report, 1986.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: fieldwork report & letter; (S3)(S4).
- <S3> SSF19576 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, fieldwork report, 1991.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1938/10 (EXC 16928/03) 13-JUN-1996 (CP/96/15/3).
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 15/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
- Related to: September 1991: fieldwork (undertaken as a result of new sewage pipeline) produced finds scatter including sherds of C13/C14 Med potte… (Med) (Monument) (WLV 012)
- Related to: September 1991: Fieldwork undertaken (as a result of new sewage pipeline) produced finds scatter which included 2 ?Ipswich ware sherds… (Sax) (Monument) (WLV 012)
- Related to: Woolverstone Park; Woolverstone Hall (PMed) (Monument) (WLV 024)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2011 4:56PM