Monument record WLV 024 - Woolverstone Park; Woolverstone Hall (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 191 384 (2147m by 2192m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Woolverstone Park. Details to follow (R1).
Woolverstone Hall. `Built in 1776 by William Berners (of London)... The architect was John Johnson of Leicester... A large, formal mansion, beautifully situated with wide views along the estuary of the Orwell. Grey brick and light grey stone. Centre seven by five bays'. Details of building in (S1).
Park includes: `Cat House' a step-gabled Gothic cottage of 1793 (B Jones) to N by estuary edge; ice-house at TM 1964 3826 (See WLV 060); two (landscape features?) mounds (WLV 020 & 021); stables of c.1776 (and recent tower over the archway); modern dormitories to (S)W of Hall and two sets of Undated cropmarks (WLV 008 & 012) and a Med(?) scatter of building debris (WLV 022). Park approximately defined after (S2).
A number of possible Post Medieval earthworks features are visible on aerial photographs, centred on TM 19843815 to the south of Woolverstone Park. The features consists of a broad earthwork ditch, 95m long, located at TM 19533807, part of a rectangular enclosure defined by a bank and ditch at TM 19603803, close to what is now the site of Park House Farm and a substantial bank, roughly 110m in length, located at TM19893815. The function of these features is unclear but they may related to the Post Medieval parkland landscape. (S3-S5) The area containing the earthworks was turned over to agriculture at some point between 1965 and 1973. See WLV 042 for the World War II activities on the site. (S6)
Area to west near river added, separate? (S7)
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 504-5.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF HLA/686 3152-3153 02-MAR-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1707 3336-3337 29-AUG-1946.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65097 015-016 06-NOV-1965.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 15/08/03.
- <S7> SSF59832 Digital archive: Fletcher, W, Martin, E.. Greens Survey Shape File and Text.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2021 2:03PM