Monument record BSE 076 - Post Medieval lime kiln and chalk pit extraction.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8509 6385 (250m by 73m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Area shown on Thos Warren's 1776 town map marked "Old Lime Kilns" (S1). According to Margaret Statham also main area of Medieval chalk extraction.
Referred to as 'Lymkelneyerd' in documents as abuttals of Barrow Charity lands from at least 1457 to 1489 (S3).
Two kilns shown on 1:500 1886 maps at TL 8507 6385 & TL 8511 6387. HER mapping after OS 1:2500 mapping.
Local tradition (in 1970s?) claimed that extensive adits extended from this pit the entrance to which was large enough for wagons (S2) - note ventilation shafts BSE 184, 185, 188 & 286. Note the 1: 500 OS 1880s map shows a trackway extending directly to the cliff face at circa TL 84986 63864 suggesting the likely location of an large adit entrance.
Parkway (road) constructed across much of site in 1970s.
For other contemporary `working' kilns, see BSE 075, 077-079.
- <S1> SSF22860 (No record type): Warren T, map, St Edmunds Bury, 1776.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S2> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Lees T (MADDC) per Pendleton C (SCCAS), january 2007.
- <S3> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. BSE, EL 13/12/1-50.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2019 9:38AM