Monument record MRM 039 - Mill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2484 4627 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Rom gilded glass cubes reported as being found at Mill Farm. Visited by B Brown - owner promised to keep any further finds for IPSMG. Sketch of site location in archive (S1).
Believed to have been "some blue glassy ones and terra cotta". Found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). Taken to his school teacher who took them to Ipswich Museum & ? kept there (S2).
January 1990: relocated on map by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). He adds he used the `little shapes of glass & a sort of hard clay heart-shaped little tiles as ammunition for my catapult' ... in 1929. His headmaster (Mr Freeman) took a cocoa tin full of these to ?Ipswich Museum. `A few days after a couple of fellows came and dug a couple of trenches. As far as I recall they said the plough had completely destroyed the floor or pavement, and no more digs were made' (S3).
Futher letter from nephew of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) was "only 12 at the time and had no idea of the significance of the find, but I do recall what a feeble attempt was made at finding anymore stones"(S5).
Early 2003: small exploratory trench at relocated (according to who?) 'original findspot' at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) & the Martlesham Historical Society revealed possible Roman tile and white glass tessera (S4)
Location on HER map amended to correspond with latest claimed findspot (just to SW of Mill Farmhouse and just to W of former pit)
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 165, 172.
- <S2> SSF10525 (No record type): Leonard, J.. Leonard J, letter to SAU, January 1990, map.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S3> SSF16506 (No record type): Powling J, letter to SAU, January 1990, map.
- <S4> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Plouviez, J., Finds report, March 2003, map..
- <S5> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. R. P. Powling. Letter to SCCAS (John Newman) 26/08/1997.
- FSF29582: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF29583: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FSF29584: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF30194: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF30195: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF30196: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF8579: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF8580: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 3:22PM