Monument record REY 007 - Reydon Marsh road.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 478 771 (770m by 483m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||REYDON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Reydon Marsh road.
Three aerial photographs show the cropmarks of parallel ditches which extend the line of the road past Lime Kiln Farm. They are interpreted as roadside ditches. Their date is by no means certain but their straightness at once suggests that they may be either Rom or C18 in date. Unfortunately they do not fit into the known pattern of Rom roads in E Suffolk so a dating to the Rom period will remain very tentative unless someone finds evidence of Rom occupation related to them (S3).
Other linear cropmarks are visible. Of unknown date, possibly relating to the road.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AFW 02, 03, 7-Jul-1977; AJH 13B, 11-Aug-1978; OS 70/227 Frms231-232 18-Jun-1970.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR 4777/1-2 (137/156) 7-Jul-1977.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. SAU, AP AJH 13B, 11-Aug-1978.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: correspondence.
- <S3> SSF17959 (No record type): SAU (Carr R D), letter to Harris Mrs D J, 5 September 1985.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. 70/227 Frms231-232 18-Jun-1970.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM