Monument record SUY 032 - Church of St Gregory (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8706 4148 (100m by 111m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
St Gregorys C14 collegiate church - see Med, on site of earlier Med and Saxon churches. Reputedly based on a church dating to circa AD 780 (S1)(R1). `About the year 970 Atheric gave one moiety of a hospital he had founded to St Gregory's in Sudbury' (S2).
Hermit, J Levynton (+Ric. Appelby?) in St Gregory's Churchyard in Sudbury 1433 parish (S3)(R2).
Scarfe records this as a Domesday Minster (S4).
- <R1> SSF21624 (No record type): Stiff Rev D, letter to P Woods (Architects), 11 July 1991.
- <S1> SSF23335 (No record type): Woods P, letter to R Halsey, English Heritage, 16 July 1991.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 339.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. B.11.141; VIII, p xxvii.
- <S3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Clay R M, The Hermits and Anchorites of England, 1914, 248-9.
- <S4> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, 'Domesday Churches', 3rd ed, 1999, map 21.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2001 12:00AM