Monument record COV 001 - Covehithe Cliff (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 529 823 (101m by 209m)|
|Civil Parish||COVEHITHE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Med sherds recovered from cliff face: corded grey handle and side sherds, green and brown glazed sherds including handle. Deposits of ash found. 1969. Information from Lowestoft Archaeological and Local History Society to Ipswich Museum (S2).
Some dozen sherds, probably C13, found in peat on the beach about midway between Covehithe and the lake to the N. Given to Ipswich Museum by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(through Norwich Castle Museum) (S3). Two wells with barrel bottoms. Cobbles on surface (1976) (S4). Information perhaps from LAS, or (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S5).
Med and PMed pottery scatter from cliff top path found and retained by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) Identified by A Gregory NAU (S1) and (S2).
Fieldwalking N part of field produced Med-PMed sherds from area adjacent to cliff features (COV 001). Field ploughed and rolled, blown and not good visibility. Appears slightly darker in area of pot scatter. Late PMed debris thinly scattered to W (S5).
See also COV 005 (CRNs 01310, 01311, 01312). For more information on wells found earlier in this area please see EBV Misc Rom.
Further finds between 1996-2000 (S6).
See also BA, IA, Rom, Sax & PMed.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report, location map, 1982.
- <S1> SSF7480 (No record type): Higgins D, 1982.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Covehithe Medieval, 1969.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1971-66, 1971.
- <S4> SSF18161 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), SMR card.
- <S5> SSF18153 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), site report, March 1982.
- <S6> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. O'Malley Mrs A per SAU, Anderson S, Finds Report February 2000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2009 9:52AM