Monument record LKD 001 - Mill Heath Anglo Saxon cemetery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7760 7143 (216m by 169m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large cremation cemetery. Numerous urns found but not located prior to identification of site following ploughing in 1945.
1947: Partial excavation by Lethbridge of an area circa 350 square yards revealed about 390 cremations. Wide range of decorated urns, includes Illington- Lackford stamps.
Associated objects: cruciform brooches, square headed brooches, annular brooches, decorated bone combs, miniature bone combs, bronze tweezers, small iron tweezers, sword scabbard fragment, glass bead, pottery spindle whorl, a Rom finger ring, a Rom spoon, a pierced Rom coin (gloria exercitus imitation). No other Sax features, ditch system possibly Rom and two small Rom structures. Flints and Rom tiles found over cremation urns - excavator suggests these heaps were intended as visible memorials. Date range early C5 to C6 (S1).
ESax glass bowls found at Lackford. Now in Cambridge Museum (S2)(R1). Probably from this site.
Anglo Saxon cemetery on Mill Heath.
For 1945 excavations by Leney and K Kenyon and 145-1946 excavations by Rev Tyrell-Green - see (S6).
March 1947: Excavations by Owen Williamson (part of Lethbridge team? - check S1) recovered four pots now in Luton Museum (S7)(R2).
In August/September 1947 Basil Brown visited the site with Stanley West and Richard Green and got permission to make investigations.
In May 1951, he presented a hand thrown, plain cinerary urn found at Mill Heath, that he had obtained from a workman, to the Ipswich Corporation Museum. There are innumerable newspaper cuttings, with photographs, describing the site and the finds, scattered throughout the volumes. However there is no reference to exactly where the urn was found (S4).
Note by Edwardson on border of map states `V.F. Anglo-Saxon Cinerary urn (and others at Cambridge)' and marks findspot with cross at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S5).
Circa 1978: Very large pieces of Saxon decorated pottery ploughed up (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)(S8).
Details of further finds included in Lethbridges site diary (see parish file)(M5). These mainly relate to cremation urns, their patterns and distribution across site along with associated finds.
1981: Pottery sherds including stamped sherds, occur on the ploughed area to S of plantation (JP 1981).
June 2015: Cremations excavated by SCCAS PAS team. Details to follow.
June 2015: Site visit with landowner, agreed to expand the game belt (maize) c 4m to south and to keep ploughing depth as shallow as possible.
- <S1> SSF10532 (No record type): Lethbridge, T.C. Lethbridge T C, A Cemetery at Lackford Suffolk, Cambridge Antiquarian Society, Quarto Publications N.
- <M1> SSF47064 (No record type): Publication: Lethbridge (S1), owner SEW.
- <R1> SSF7239 (No record type): Harden D B, ed Dark Age Britain 1956, 165.
- <R2> SSF11623 (No record type): Myers J N L, A Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Pottery of the Pagan Period, 1977, Nos 2949-2952, ill.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card 47, CHA 1976.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S3> SSF1037 (No record type): Barker, H.R.. Barker H R, Anglo Saxon Urns found near Lackford, PSIA, 6, 1917, 181- 182, (ill).
- <M3> SSF47066 (No record type): Microfilm: (S5).
- <M4> SSF47067 (No record type): G Briscoe archive: (S6).
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, I, 81c; VIII 135 139 141; XXVI 14; XCV 3; XCVI 70,81; map 40.
- <S5> SSF2776 (No record type): BSEMH, Correspondents 6 inch record map, 32 NE, A R Edwardson entry, undated.
- <M5> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S7)R2).
- <S6> SSF1472 (No record type): Briscoe T, notebook - `Lackford'.
- <S7> SSF10626 Source Unchecked: Luton Museum?. 1991. Luton Museum (Holgate R), letter & artefact list, December 1991. Luton Museum (Holgate R), letter & artefact list, December 1991.
- <S8> SSF50053 Unpublished document: Mildenhall & District Detector Club. King J (MADDC), per SAU (Pendleton C), July 1998.
- FSF23976: POTTERY (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23977: COMB (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23978: BROOCH (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23979: TWEEZERS (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23980: FINGER RING (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23981: SPOON (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23982: COIN (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23983: SPINDLE WHORL (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23984: BEAD (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23985: BOWL (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- FSF23986: POTTERY (Roman to IPS: Early Anglo-Saxon - 401 AD to 600 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2021 10:17AM