Monument record BSE 101 - Jesus College; College Street; Church Walks

Please read our .


Part of 'College of Jesus' founded by Jankyn Smith, circa 1480. Also see BSE 323 and BSE 290.


Grid reference Centred TL 8548 6394 (42m by 27m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86SE


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

'College of Jesus' founded by Jankyn Smith. Begun during his life, he died 1481, and continued by his executors, dissolved 1547.

Site was believed to have been on the site of the telephone exchange between College Street and Whiting Street (TL 8537 6397) - see BSE 323. OS map of 1880's marks 'Jesus college (site of)' at (TL 8540 6398). Casual examination of the site during demolition of buildings before construction of the exchange (pre 1974) suggested no Medieval structures incorporated into the previous standing buildings (note however, that the exchange was considerably to West of 'The College' as mapped by Warren in 18th century).

Warren clearly maps Jesus College (this site) as a small building on the corner of College Street and The Church Walks but also marks a much larger building as 'The College' (BSE 323) on the opposite side of College Street - see above. The location of the Jesus College building as mapped by Warren is now occupied by a 19th or 20th century terraced house.

More recent historical research on the Guildhall Feoffees records of their purchases of Chantry and Guild properties (though they did not purchase the College of Jesus) dealing with the Barnaby almshouses has shown that Jesus College was immediately S of the Barnaby property. This coincides with a very noticeable 'crank' in the line of "church walks", which may indicate early property boundaries that extend further to the E than the building mapped by Warren.

The college had a chapel, dining hall, library, also each beneficiary had a bedroom and living room. It was a large and wealthy establishment (S1).

1993: Three small evaluation trenches failed to find any remains of Jesus College, and only identified 'garden soils' (S3).

For excavation of stone (and brick) cellar of C12- C13th (within area of BSE 323) see BSE 290.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): Conversation with Margaret Statham.
  • <S2> Map: Thomas Warren. 1747. Survey of the Borough of St Edmundsbury.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Caruth J. 1993. Archaeological Assessment for Church Walks.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 5 2018 9:42AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.