Monument record BSE 323 - Jesus College; The College; College Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8539 6397 (42m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- COLLEGE OF SECULAR PRIESTS (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1549 AD)
- CHAPEL (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1539 AD)
- ALMSHOUSE (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1539 AD)
- ALTAR (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHANTRY CHAPEL (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1539 AD)
- LIBRARY (15th century to 16th century - 1480 AD to 1539 AD)
'Jesus College (site of)' marked with a small cross at this location on 1880s OS map (S1). Building previously shown on Warren's map (S2) as 'The College' (he marks Jesus College seperately to NE - see BSE 101).
Presumably all part of college building complex founded by Jankyn Smith circa 1480 bequeathed in his will to provide a residence for the priests of St Mary's and St James'. As well as the college itself, the complex included six tenements (S3).
See also BSE 290 for evaluation and excavation results revealing a high-status medieval cellar, likely associated with Jesus College.
The early cellar is probably part of the College of Jesus founded to supply priests for the celebration of mass within the Abbey chantries and the charnal house that were dissolved in 1549. This is identified as the site of ‘the College’ on Thomas Warren’s map of 1776; however, he also refers to the ‘College of Jesus’ on the opposite side of the street. From this we can suggest that there was more than one large building of stone associated with the site of the College and that these appeared on either side of College Street (S4).
Evidence of an 18th century workhouse on the same site as the College, See BSE 660.
Jesus College was founded in 1480 by John Smyth for chantry priests to live in common, and licensed in 1481 for a warden and 6 chaplains, 4 almsmen being maintained at the dissolution. The college was sited on the west side of College Street 8 chains north of the junction with Westgate Street and 3 chains south of Churchgate Street. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1880s.
- <S2> SSF50246 Map: Thomas Warren. 1747. Survey of the Borough of St Edmundsbury.
- <S3> SSF53238 Unpublished document: Tester, A. and Breen, A.. 2007. A Report on the Archaeological Evaluation, 57-59 College St, Bury St Edmunds BSE 290.
- <S4> SSF55448 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2013. Excavation Report, 57-59 College Street, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S5> SSF10361 Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed).
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 10:50AM