Monument record BSE 660 - 18th century Workhouse, 57-59 College Street

Please read our .


Site of 18th century Workhouse in College Street


Grid reference Centred TL 8540 6397 (33m by 35m)
Map sheet TL86SE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Site of an 18th century Workhouse in College Street, used by the combined parishes of St Mary and St James and replaced their own parish workhouses. The central building was on the site of Jesus College.
Many of the buildings were demolished in 1884 when the workhouse closed, with the remaining buildings used by the St Edmunds Working Men's Association, another as the Scot Headquarters until the early 1960's. The buildings at the northern end were converted into houses (S1).

See also BSE 290 for evaluation and excavation revealing brick foundations of the workhouse.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Tester, A. and Breen, A.. 2007. A Report on the Archaeological Evaluation, 57-59 College St, Bury St Edmunds BSE 290. includes photos and plans.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2013. Excavation Report, 57-59 College Street, Bury St Edmunds.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jul 6 2018 11:17AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.