Monument record FKM 073 - Rymer Grange and extra-parochial lands
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 880 758 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FAKENHAM MAGNA, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Extra parochial extent at Rymer (Rhymer) Point. Estate identified in documents relating to the land of Edmund Comyn (1320) which describes a tenant, the Abbot of Tilley, as holding the tenement called `Ryngem graunge' (R1). Crown grant to Charles, Duke of Suffolk, in 1539 records `the farm called Ryngemere Graunge, Suffolk, belonging to the suppressed priory of Tylley, Essex...' (R2) Presumably the site of the former grange is now occupied by Rymer Farm. Not known whether any architectural fragments have been incorporated into the later buildings or the extent to which the grange buildings have been re-used in any way. The extra parochial extent is shown on the 1840 tithe map for Fakenham Magna. See file for map and report (S1)(S2).
Formerly recorded as FKM MISC
- <R1> SSF16602 (No record type): PRO - c134/66, no 15, item 9.
- <S1> SSF21930 (No record type): Sussams K, Brecks Survey, 1995.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map and report.
- <R2> SSF16603 (No record type): PRO - State papers 651 (45).
- <S2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Holland C G, 'The Battle of Ringmere 1010', The Suffolk Review, 3, 1966.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2018 7:03PM