Monument record CLA 029 - Old Dalgety Granary Site (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7650 4492 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CLARE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
October 1995: metal detector finds from development site include BA (?) awl, Rom, Med & Pmed finds. Details in (S2).
1995/6: E-W aligned ditch running across N end of building site, identified in footing trenches for Plot 20. Scatter of fragmented Rom tile observed on surface and a few fragments from ditch fill. Also PMed/LMed pit in garage footing trench on E side of building 20 (S1).
The corner of a double ditched enclosure (?) was found during a WB on housing development (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), Clare. Other features were also found. No features were dated but unstratified Rom and Med pottery were recovered. The enclosure is probably part of the extensive system of enclosures seen as cropmarks on the adjacent field (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) from where Rom, IA and Sax finds have been recovered (S1),
On S edge of (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (multiperiod scatters).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. SCCAS, Caruth J, No 2003/5, Jan 2003.
- <S2> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SCCAS, Plouviez J, Dec 1996.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), P.91.
- FSF19297: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF28406: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF28407: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF28408: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF30316: COIN (Roman - 201 AD to 400 AD)
- FSF30317: COLCHESTER DERIVATIVE BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 100 AD)
- FSF30319: PLATE BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF30320: HOD HILL BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 100 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2013 2:49PM