Monument record BRD 133 - The Mount; probable post medieval mound in Mount Plantation, Forest Block 3057
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7933 8488 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Mound of flint & chalk debris, circa 1.5m high by 7m diameter, partially cut on N side by forest roadway (S1).
Note: Possibly connected to flint mines associated with gunflint production, when owned by Geo Wilson Esq (S2), to S (BRD 134) and earthwork bank to E (BRD 135). Same as 'Tower' on 1810 Enclosure Map - see BRD 106 (sf15369). Possibly the same as 'The Mount' shown and named on tithe map of 1838 (S3) & Bryants 1826 map (S4). In 1838 owned by Edward Bliss. Possibly landscape feature/folly associated with park (S3) though map predates it?
Also see BRD 106.
Note: Shown on 1950s OS map.
June 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The mound described above is visible as an earthwork on imagery from a lidar survey flown in 2015 (S5). Its relatively 'fresh' appearance and seemingly flat top accord with the post medieval date suggested above. Its interpretation as a mound of flint mining/gunflint production waste, or as a parkland feature, are both plausible.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th June 2017.
- <S1> SSF20077 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, 1995.
- <S2> SSF50054 Map: Brandon Enclosure Map, 1810, SRO(B) QR18.
- <S3> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Brandon Tithe Map, 1838 , T125/1 & 2, Bury.
- <S4> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Bryants map of the County of Suffolk, 1826, Bury.
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL78NE/78SE/77NE/88NW/88SW/88SE/87NW/87NE, Mapping Block 2: 'Brecks from Above' Air Photo Mapping Project and Breckland NMP Project (ESF25814)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Survey - Heritage Trail, Downham High Warren, High Lodge, Santon Downham (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-242983) (ESF23630)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2018 3:45PM