Monument record IKL 125 - Probable bank and ditches possibly relating to Icklingham Belt
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8062 7706 (2465m by 783m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- PARISH BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARISH BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY DITCH? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
Series of parallel banks (? - not visited) depicted on OS maps (S1)(S2) marking line of parish boundary and plantation(?) named Icklingham Belt (S2)(S3). Not shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map. W end now levelled(?)(S1).
July 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Sections of parallel earthwork banks and possible ditch sections, of a likely post medieval date, are seen on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S4-S5). The banks most likely relate to a parish boundary bank between the parishes of Elveden and Icklingham with some of the bank sections possibly relating to a second boundary bank associated with Icklingham Belt recorded on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map (S6). The banks are in close proximity to further boundary banks to the north (ELV 181) and south (IKL 349) as well as Frist and Second World War military training on Berners Heath (IKL 352 and IKL 353).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 08th June 2019.
- <S1> SSF12479 (No record type): OS, 1:10,000 map, TL 87 NW, 1984.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 maps, XXI.8 & XXII.5, 1904.
- <S3> SSF12862 (No record type): OS, 1st edition one inch map, 1836.
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/82/1208 F22 0122-0126 02-JUN-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S6> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 4:00PM