Monument record CUL 033 - Culford Village (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8340 7027 (203m by 323m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Site of the original Culford village lies near the church, in Culford Park. The layout is shown on a map of 1778 (S5), an estate map of 1793 (S1) and on a Highway Diversion Order of 1804 (S2). Although the road was diverted in 1804, the village was not cleared out until 1825-8 when the estate had changed hands from the Cornwallis Family to Richard Benyon de Beauvoir (who purchased it in 1823)(S3). The only surviving buildings of the old village are the church (CUL 024) and Home Farm (c.1480) which stands at the extreme SE end of the village area.
December 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Undated earthwork banks have been recorded from visualised lidar data in close proximity to this record. It is uncertain as to whether these banks may have related to Culford village (see above) and have been recorded as part of CUL 085. A large are of probable medieval ridge and furrow (CUL 079) has been recorded in close proximity to this record approximately 250m to the north west.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 03rd December 2019.
- <S1> SSF21826 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office (Bury), P720/1, photocopy in (S4).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4)(S5).
- <S2> SSF21509 (No record type): SRO (B), Q/SH 24, photocopy in (S4).
- <S3> SSF15448 (No record type): Paine C (ed), The Culford Estate 1780-1935, 1993.
- <S4> SSF21983 (No record type): Taigel A & Williamson T, Culford Hall, report for SCC, n.d..
- <S5> SSF50054 Map: Paterson Lt, Plan of Hengrave & Fornham Camps, 1778, PRO 15533.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 11:28AM