Monument record CUL 034 - Medieval rectangular moat with an entrance causeway on the north side, unoccupied.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8327 7016 (93m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Rectangular moat, with an entrance causeway on the north side, unoccupied, shown on estate maps of 1742, 1791 and 1793 (S1 and on map of 1778 (S4). Probably infilled when the lake in Culford Park was constructed in 1795 (S2). Possibly the site of the original Culford Hall, before 1591 when Sir Nicholas Bacon started the sequence of building on the present Hall site (CUL 021).
December 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Sections of bank and ditch possibly relating to a former Medieval-post medieval moat are seen as earthworks on visualised lidar data (S5). The features consist of two ditches measuring approximately 7m in width with a small earthwork bank intersecting the ditches and a further section of bank immediately to the south of the eastern ditch. The form of the ditches are similar to other possible moats mapped by the survey and it is possible that these features may relate to the northern part of the causewayed moat recorded form cartographic sources (see above) with a further internal bank. It also possible that these features may relate to post medieval to modern drainage, earthworks possibly relating to Culford park (CUL 021 and CUL 022) and gardens or possibly features relating to Culford medieval settlement recorded to the east (CUL 033). The banks and diches are not seen on the Frist Edition Ordnance survey map (S6). The possible moat is in close proximity to earthwork banks recorded to the east and Culford hall and park recorded to the north (CUL 021 and CUL 022).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 03rd December 2019.
- <S1> SSF21822 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office (Bury), E8/1/10; private colln, Culford School; and SRO (B) P720/1, photocopie.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3)(S4).
- <S2> SSF15447 (No record type): Paine C (ed), The Culford Estate 1780- 1935, 1993.
- <S3> SSF21983 (No record type): Taigel A & Williamson T, Culford Hall, report for SCC, n.d..
- <S4> SSF50054 Map: Paterson Lt, Plan of Hengrave & Fornham Camps, 1778, PRO 15533.
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL8370 Environment Agency 2m DTM 18-APR-2019.
- <S6> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 11:55AM