Monument record WSW 047 - West Stow Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8157 7086 (82m by 75m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
West Stow Hall. Early C16 mansion, formerly moated. The rectangular moat is shown on an estate map of 1815 (S1). Davy mentions that the N side of the moat had been infilled when he visited in 1829 (S2). The moat is not shown on the 1840 tithe map (S3).
Impressive brick gatehouse, 3 storeyed with polygonal turrets with figural finials, probably of the 1520s. Terracotta plaque with the arms of Mary Tudor, Queen of France (d.1533). Connected to a bridge across the infilled moat (timber-framed room above) and a brick end wall with a crow-stepped gable and side turrets. Gatehouse connected to the house by an Elizabethan brick colonnade with a timber-framed room above. Hall and part of the parlour survive of 1520s house - timber-framed with brick nogging and brick chimney. Service end at S end rebuilt ?mid C16. Extensive alterations in 1839 (including white brick casing on S side), further restoration in 1906 S4- S8).
Building is associated with Sir John Crofts (d.1558) who is said to have been a member of the household of Mary Tudor. The original Crofts property in West Stow was the subsidiary manor of Jenny's; Sir John acquired the main manor of West Stow on dissolution of Bury Abbey in 1540. He also acquired Little Saxham Hall from the Lucas Family in the 1530s. His inquisition post mortem (1558) states that he was `seised of a capital messuage (in which he lived) called Jennys' (S9). After his death Little Saxham Hall became the main residence of the family.
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme
An area of probable medieval-post medieval banks and ditches (WSW 215) has been recorded from aerial sources in close proximity to the north and east. It is possible that the these features may have related to the West Stow Hall.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 27th January 2020.
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <S1> SSF21860 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, FL 648/13/2.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of part of (S1).
- <S2> SSF1252 (No record type): Blatchly J, ed, D E Davy, A Journal of Excursions through Suffolk 1823- 44, Suff Records Soc, vol 24.
- <S3> SSF21872 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, T134/1,2.
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 482.
- <S5> SSF7459 (No record type): Hervey S H A, West Stow and Wordwell Parish Registers, 1903, 2442-248.
- <S6> SSF10400 (No record type): L W `West Stow Hall', Country Life, 10 June 1911, 848-56.
- <S7> SSF17904 (No record type): Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977, 213-15.
- <S8> SSF15452 (No record type): Paine C, ed, The Culford Estate, 1993, 120-21.
- <S9> SSF7457 (No record type): Hervey S H A, Little Saxham Parish Registers, 1901, 129-30.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 11:05AM