Monument record BSE 174 - Norman Tower; St James Gate Tower
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85572 64076 (20m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Norman Tower. Entrance leading to W Front of Abbey Church of Bury St Edmunds (see BSE 010) and churchyard. Built circa AD 1121-46. Scheduled pre 1930? Now Guardianship Ancient Monument. Used as Bell Tower for adjoining church (cathedral) of St James with 10 bells dated 1785 - the oldest complete ring of 10 in the country to have been cast together (S1)(S3). Considerably restored 1846-7. For discussion see (R1).
1973: Excavations by DOE - details in (S2)(R2).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S3).
- <S1> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. EH, Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Whittingham A B, official Handbook (of Abbey?), HMSO, 1971.
- <M2> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Drewett P & Stuart I (DOE), 'Excav in the Norman Gate Tower, BSE Abbey', PSIA,33 (3),1976 241-2. ill.
- <R2> SSF50076 Artifact: Bury St Edmunds Moyses Hall. BSEMH, notes from excavations.
- <S3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Stannard P V, A Short History of the Norman Tower, Bury St Edmunds and its Bells, 1995.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 856 641, JDF 11-13, 1 July 1996.
- FSF25608: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF25609: POTTERY (14th century to 19th century - 1350 AD to 1899 AD)
- FSF25610: WINDOW GLASS (14th century to 15th century - 1301 AD to 1499 AD)
- FSF25611: COIN (18th century to Unknown - 1719 AD)
- FSF25612: TOKEN (15th century to 16th century - 1450 AD to 1550 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 5:13PM