Monument record BLG 019 - Mason's Quarry, Field F4, Great Blakenham, (Prehistoric).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 10603 50508 (245m by 176m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BLAKENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1992: Fieldwalking carried out as part of 22 ha survey (including BAY 032, BLG 018 & BLG 019) in advance of quarrying, shovel test holes, earthwork survey and metal detector survey also carried out.
Field names probably PMed.
Fieldwalk: 24m transects divided into 100m stints (therefore less thoroughly walked than adjacent fields, BAY 031 and BAY 032, due to 'lack of finds' and time). Finds summarised as: worked flints - 7 unpatinated blades; 2 pieces brick and tile, 2 burnt flints (S3).
Metal detector: same transects as fieldwalk, every 3rd transect (non-ferrous). 2 finds included curtain ring and fragment (see report S3).
See also BAY 031, BAY 032, BLG 018.
Descriptions of finds are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be later Prehistoric, based on older version on this record, (S4).
- --- SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S3).
- --- SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S1> SSF56863 Map: 1838. Great Blakenham Tithe Map.
- <S2> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. RCHME APs, JEW 11856E (see appendix 1 in report for other APs checked).
- <S2> SSF59408 Photograph: RCHME. RCHME APs, JEW 11856E.
- <S3> SSF55783 Unpublished document: Boulter, S., & Newman, J.. 1992. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Mason's Quarry, Baylham/Great Blakenham.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 1:26PM