Monument record MNL 510 - Site of second warrener's lodge, Three Hillls, Mildenhall Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 745 741 (84m by 94m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Two separate entries for 'A Lodge' (shown and marked by drawn buildings) on John Ogilby's Travellers Guide of 1675 to west and east of present A11. The western example is probably Highlodge (MNL 134). The eastern example appears to be in the Mildenhall Warren/Three Hills area (S1).
In Mildenhall leases held by the Suffolk Record Office (Bury) are references to 'The Lodge' in 1577 and to 'The Lodges' in 1612 (also note MNL 134).
1812: Enclosure map (S2) shows square symbol of a (unroofed?) building at TL 7455 7416 (approx) which is probably the lodge shown by Ogilby. The High Lodge site (MNL 134) is delineated in a similar manner and at an identical scale.
1836: No building is shown on OS 1st edition map (S3) though tumuli and possible pitting. Also to west is a possible bank/s (see MNL 474), separating this part of the warren from the area further to the west.
1859: Tithe map shows pits to NW(?) of (former?) building (S3).
c.1884 & 1904: North - south banks still shown on 1:2500 map, area of pits expanded (S4).
April 2001: mapped location adjusted (after S2) from TL 744 742 to TL 7455 7416.
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland recorded the main warren lodge (MNL 134) and noted that there may have been a second lodge at three Hills, in the south-east corner to the warren, but no trace survives (S6).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (MNL 485) tracing(?) of (S2)(S4).
- <S1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Ogilby J, The Road from London to Norwich (Traveller's Guide), 1675, Cam Univ Lib B125:2.9, rel 700.
- <S2> SSF50054 Map: Mildenhall Enclosure Map, 1812, SRO(B), QRI 30A.
- <S3> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. OS, map, 1836.
- <S4> SSF11365 Map: 1859. Mildenhall Tithe Map.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS.. 1:2500 map, c.1884 & 1904.
- <S6> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 13 2018 2:23PM