Monument record ORF 226 - Bronze seal matrix with circular die reading (translation) 'the seal of the new custom [of/at] Orford'
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 4166 4995 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze seal matrix with circular die reading (translation) 'the seal of the new custom [of/at] Orford' with central representation of three-turreted gatehouse/castle with open doors. The 'custuma nova' on the seal was apparently the wool custom of 1275. Impression taken. Details & photographs in parish file (S1-S4).
Formerly recorded as ORF MISC
- <S1> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Calver A (IMDC), letter to SAU, Martin E, December 1998, photo.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S2> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. SAU, Martin E, letter to A Calver, January 1999.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Martin E, April 1998.
- <S4> SSF50058 Bibliographic reference: Newspaper Article. East Anglian Daily Times, 17 June 1998, 15, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 2:17PM