Monument record SLY 062 - Shotley Fort (1862); HMS Ganges (1904); Shotley Battery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 25040 33958 (184m by 237m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Coastal defence fort, built to defend Harwich Harbour in 1862/3, in form of 'an irregular seven-sided work with an unrevetted ditch and loop-holed Carnot wall' (S1). Details in (S1)(S2)(S4).
22 June 2004: scheduled - details in (S3)
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(2).
- <S1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Kent P, Fortifications of East Anglia, 1988, 91-95, ill.
- <S2> SSF50054 Map: Sommers M, Notated maps of Shotley Fort, 2002.
- <S3> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. English Heritage, Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF54548 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2003. A report on the Historic features at HMS Ganges Site, Shotley Peninsular.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2012 11:45AM