Monument record FSG 002 - Church of St Genevieve
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8400 6834 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Name: Domesday book Genonefoeforham, circa 1095 Geneuefes Fornham. This church was destroyed by fire in either 1782 or 1775. The chancel was taken down in 1813. The tower is the only part of the church which remains, also a few gravestones. (S2)
Formerly the church had the status of a rectory and lay within the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. (S1)
The tower is C15. A will of 1452 left money for the repair of the tower. After the church was burnt down the tower was used as a water tower for the now demolished Fornham Hall. (S3)
The rebel Earl of Leicester is said to have made his last stand near this church following the Battle of Fornham in 1173. For attempted battle reconstruction and local legends see (S4).
For an account of the discovery of skeletons, arranged in a circle, beneath an ancient tree, near the church see parish file 1979 (appears to be missing 1986), and (S4). 2003/4 : conservation statement and building analysis for works (complete 2003/4) on church tower, details in parish file (S6) (S7).
- <S1> SSF21817 (No record type): Suffolk Parishes, A Guide to their Archaeology and Hist, 1984-1985, ms.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S2> SSF18973 (No record type): SAU, Atkinson R G, Summary of Doc Sources for Churches in Suff, 1986, ms.
- <M2> SSF46536 (No record type): AP: (S5).
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL86NW1, 1970.
- <S4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 144-146.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/13/25, June 1997.
- <S6> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Watt DS. Conservation Statement, Feb 2004.
- <S7> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Watt DS. Building Analysis and Recording, Feb 2004.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 5 2009 9:32AM