Monument record SUY 048 - North Meadow

Please read our .

Summary

Meadow works on North Meadow: consist of parallel slight depressions at right angles to the River Stour.

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 87040 41829 (84m by 119m)
Map sheet TL84SE
Civil Parish SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Meadow works on North Meadow: consist of parallel slight depressions at right angles to the River Stour. Depressions approximately 1m wide and 3-5m apart and are water-filled in the winter (S1). Area coincides with that part of North Meadow that was owned by Alexander Duff, silk manufacturer of Sudbury, in 1840 (S2). Works probably dated from c.1800 when floated water meadows were in vogue (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Martin E and Walter A, 1998, photo in site file.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Letters, photos, part tracing of S2.
  • <S2> Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Tithe Map of Sudbury St Peter & St Gregory, 1840, T149/1,2.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Wade-Martins S & Williamson T, Agricultural History Review 42, 1994, 20-37.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 9 2011 11:36AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.