Monument record WTN 049 - Various undated weapon finds, Witnesham Hall; Manor Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 18000 50800 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WITNESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Circa 1808: Information from 'Rev John King, rector .. that he had several relics in his possession, proving that a battle had been fought at Witnesham' (S1).
Circa 1820: Human skeleton with "a horse beside it, having been dug within six feet from the surface", found by Mr Charles Poppy, 'a very intelligent agriculturist in the parish .. On his land .. Mr Poppy showed me several marks of military accoutrement, a part of the saddle, stirrups, etc. The studs of the saddle were of silver' (S1)(R2)(R3). It is suggested Mr Poppy occupied Manor Farm (R1).
1985: Mrs Dorothy Barker (the village historian) wrote, 'it is thought about 800 years ago, a battle was fought here as several human skeletons were found circa 1818 and various pieces of armour thrown up within a short distance of the Hall. In 1820, the skeleton of a man in armour with his lance and horse were discovered near the same spot, carefully buried. The bit and buckles of the bridle, also the stirrups and studs belonging to the saddle were near perfect. The helmet was also in good condition but crumbled to pieces on being handled, as did the saddletree and bones, but not the teeth. A short sword of the time of Edward III was also discovered .. (R1)(S2).
Formerly recorded as WTN MISC
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Meadow P, note, Gentlemans Magazine, 98, 1828, 23.
- <R1> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Barker D, Other Days in Witnesham - A Suffolk Village, SCC, 1985, 21.
- <S2> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Farrow B (Witnesham Local History Recorder), letter to SAU, Sep 2003.
- <R2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Pocket Histories of Suffolk Parishes, 109, Witnesham, Feb 1929.
- <R3> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Lewis S, Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
- FSF29243: STIRRUP (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Post Medieval - 850 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF29244: SPEARHEAD (Roman to IPS: Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF29245: SADDLE (Roman to IPS: Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF29246: HARNESS (Roman to IPS: Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF29247: HELMET (Roman to IPS: Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF29248: ARMOUR (Roman to IPS: Post Medieval - 43 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 24 2019 3:32PM