Monument record SNP 020 - Round Hill, Black Cottages (Un)

Please read our .

Summary

Supposed site of a substantial barrow called Round Hill (possibly Sax) adjoining the present Black Cottages.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 4027 5843 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TM45NW
Civil Parish SNAPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Supposed site of a barrow called Round Hill (possibly Sax) on the site of (or probably adjoining) the present Black Cottages.
A letter to The Field or Gentleman's Magazine (1863) by R.A.N. refers to this barrow as having been round and higher than the other Snape barrows. Circa 1828 a man called Nathan Licence built a small windmill on the mound 'for the purpose of driving a lathe, he being a wood turner', and 'after a year or two he surrounded the hill with a bank of turf and planted a thick hedge of furze on the top, then on the west side he cut into the hill ten or fifteen feet to form a shed to store his wood in, and a place for his donkey and cart'. 'Curious old earthenware and coloured glass... Also bits of iron, very much corroded, and a large number of bones' are reported to have been found. Said to have been in regular layers - see (S1). For photocopy of letter and additional information by Mrs Harrison, for example that the Tithe map of 1848 shows a small circular plot with rectangular cut into the west side - No 291- owner Nathen Licence, Turning Mill and Yard, which seems to confirm this as the said site, see parish file (S2).
Note 1: the OS 1st ed map of 1837 shows a 'turning mill' here. There is a faint possibility that the windmill noted above was another one also shown on the OS 1st ed map further to the west (see SNP 091).
Note 2: the 1880s OS map also shows a 'cutting' with a [the?] shed within it.
Feb 2005: 2 evaluation trenches prior to planning permission failed to identify any mound or archaeology, however location of trenches probably too far west and angling away from mound site if the shed noted above was on the west side of the mound! (S3).
The exact location of this site needs checking against the tithe map and award of 1848.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. The Field or Gentlemans Magazine, letter of Feb 16 1863.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Letter. Mrs R A Harrison to EM (SCCAS), undated.
  • <S3> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Meredith J, SCCAS 2005/011.

Finds (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 25 2019 8:53AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.