Monument record ORF 001 - Orford Castle (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 418 498 (288m by 256m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- NISSEN HUT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- STRUCTURE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- BEACON (16th century to IPS: Post Medieval - 1588 AD to 1900 AD)
Orford Castle - A cylindrical keep with three projecting rectangular towers. Built by Henry II, 1165-1172. Scheduled area constitutes a public park on the edge of the town. NE part is occupied by keep & earthworks; SW by old sand pit (S1).
Whetstone, hone of mica-quartz-schist (Ellis type IA1).
1991: Said to be maintained and in guardianship.
1993: Trench inserted from entrance kiosk to W side of keep, for electricity line, monitored & recorded by SAU.
1995: Trench along similar alignment inserted and again monitored by SAU. Details of finds in (S3).
August 1996: Scheduled area slightly revised (S1).
A range of structures of World War II date and probable military function are visible on aerial photographs in the immediate area of Orford castle its earthworks. From at least 1943 to 1945 the castle is surrounded by circa 325m of barbed wire that roughly follows the line of the bailey earthworks. Also within this time, three structures can be seen to the south-east of the keep. In 1943 a square building can be seen in the ditch of the earthworks at circa TM41974984, with a possible smaller structure to the south of it. A nissen hut type structure is visible at circa TM41924989 on 1943 photographs, but has been removed by 1944. A second nissen hut type structure is visible at TM41994986 in September 1945. All of the structures have been removed by October 1945. It is not clear what role Orford Castle might have played during the war, but it is possible that it was used as an observation tower, as was Slaughden Martello tower (see ADB 013). (S5-8)
Also Mes, Un.
Features visible on Lidar. See asociated files.
- <R1> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk (many references).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1)(S3).
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: SAU ALO 5-7; OS 72057/53; Essex C C CP/96/18/12-13.
- <S2> SSF692 (No record type): Archaeologia, 29, 1842, 60-69.
- <S3> SSF19347 (No record type): SAU, Loader T, Orford Castle ORF 001: Record of Archaeological Monitoring, report, August 1995, ill.
- <M3> SSF45932 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M4> SSF45933 (No record type): Monitoring archive:.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, APs, CP/96/18/12-13, June 1996.
- <S5> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC132 5014-5 30-DEC-1943.
- <S6> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7GR/LOC355 4059-60 30-MAY-1944.
- <S7> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4173-4 23-SEP-1945.
- <S8> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 3366-7 16-OCT-1945.
- <S9> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Barker L, Survey Report, A1/22/2004, 2004.
- <S10> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. SCCAS, Gardner R, No 2003/22, March 2003.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (10)
- Event - Survey: Earthwork Survey (Ref: ) (ESF18828)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (Ref: SAU) (ESF15853)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by SAU (TAL) (Ref: SAU (TAL)) (ESF16114)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation (Ref: ) (ESF18831)
- Event - Survey: Geophysical Survey, Orford Castle (Ref: ) (ESF18829)
- Event - Survey: NMR - Geophysical Survey (Ref: ) (ESF18830)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13657)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13240)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14622)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2020 8:59AM