Monument record BNH 010 - The Nunnery (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 884 804 (137m by 124m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
This site, on bank of Little Ouse river, is called The Nunnery and lies W of the IA site excavated by R Rainbird Clarke in 1959 on the Norfolk side of the river. Cyril Pratt a dragline driver, had found a complete Rom urn containing cremated bones and sherds of IA pottery, and Basil Brown and D Lawrence paid a visit to the site after the report of the find. Pieces of timber had been dredged from the river together with two pieces of Rom pottery, one of which was Samian and was retained by Mr Lawrence. Basil Brown kept specimens of the timbers, one almost certainly a post and stored them at his home (S1)(S2). See also Neo & IA.
Details of cremation suggest it came from TL 864 797. Possibly male adult represented. Pot found circa 1970, cleaning topsoil to expose gravel. Diss Museum hold pot in exhibtion. Said to have been found 4'6" down and to have been "sealed with unfired clay and grass stems". Contained cremated bone (which had been sorted from soil). Stylistically probably C2-C3. Suggestion it did not come from BNH 010 location although descriptions are similar. Unclear whether this is BNH 010 or a second urn. S3, S4
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, card index 31.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: card index.
- <S2> SSF18162 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), SMR card,.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Plouviez, J., SCCAS. 22/08/1996.
- <S4> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. T. Holt Wilson to J. Plouviez, SCCAS. 08/08/1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2006 11:36AM