Monument record CUL 079 - Probable Medieval ridge and furrow and medieval-post medieval boundary banks
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||CULFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (8)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
November 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Probable Medieval ridge and furrow and Medieval to post medieval boundary banks are seen as earthworks on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1-S3). The features consist of multiple areas of probable medieval ridge and furrow on various alignments with a number of earthwork banks, possibly relating to medieval field boundaries. It is also possible that some of the banks may be post mediaeval boundaries, post medieval parkland features or modern features associated with Culford school. The features are within the parkland (CUL 021) of Culford hall and it is possible that the ridge and furrow pre dates the creation of the park. The majority of the ridge and furrow is seen clearly as earthworks on the visualised lidar data apart from an area centred at TL 8224 7101, which can be seen as earthworks in the 1940s (S1) before being subsequently levelled. The ridge and furrow and banks are in close proximity to the original site of Culford village (CUL 033) and a section of probable medieval moat (CUL 034) approximately 250m to the south east.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 29th November 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/3G/TUD/UK/61 V 5030-5032 05-FEB-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL8270 and TL8271 Environment Agency 1m DTM 18-MAY-2019.
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL8370 Environment Agency 2m DTM 18-MAY-2019.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2020 11:40AM