Monument record KNN 001 - Kenton Hall (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Moat. listed building

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 187 651 (237m by 274m) Centred on
Map sheet TM16NE
Civil Parish KENTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Moat. Small rectangle inside larger enclosure. Occupied, isolated. Major site.
1990: Large moated enclosure of 5.6 acres (an angular `D' shape), containing a central moated rectangle of about 0.4 acre. The inner moat has a house on it and is attached by an arm to the outer moat. The outer moat contains farm buildings (mostly modern) and areas of ploughed land. Between the inner and outer moats on the W side is a rectangular piece of ground, moated on three sides, which is now a lawn. This is reached by a wooden bridge across the moat on the S side. The inner moat has brick revetting on its SE side, both on the inner and the outer sides, this continues for a short length along the inner side of the NE arm. At the NE corner are two polygonal buttresses with blue diaper decoration. Brick revetting is also present on the outer of the S arm of the lawn moat and flanking the W side of the entrance into the outer moat at the SW corner.
The house is aligned along the SW edge of the inner moat and is an `L' shaped brick structure with 7-sided buttresses or turrets at the corners and at intervals along the facade. Large windows with pediments. Probable date is the second half of the C16.
Manor of Kenton was held by the de Kenton family in the C13 & C14. (Held in 1346 by Margery de Kenton by service of 1 knight's fee of Evade Clavering, the widow of Sir Thomas de Ufford). Inherited in the C15 by the Garneys family, who must have been responsible for the brick house (S1).
1999: Fieldwalking on SW side located two sherds Thetford type ware, 18 early Med sherds and other Med & LMed pottery and ceramic building materials. Details in (S2).
Also Rom scatter.

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <S1> (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1990.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated map, 1990 & (S2).
  • <S2> Finds Report: Plouviez, J.. 1995. SCCAS Finds Record:. Savery E per SAU (JP & SA), Finds Reports, April 1999, maps.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 612.
  • <S4> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 23-JUN-76.
  • <S5> Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Hartismere RD Apr 1950 59.

Finds (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Feb 17 2022 11:02AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.