Monument record BRH 010 - Medieval artefact scatter of pottery within a circular enclosure. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 137 509 (50m by 87m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Circular site, in field E of church, 48 feet in diameter with ditch 4 feet deep 6 feet across. Pottery sherds with "piecrust" decoration (S2). Some dispute over dating of the pottery; Group Captain Knocker thought it C11 and R Rainbird Clarke thought C13. Basil Brown reports the circle appeared to have a clay floor with entrance at the west (S1).
Surface pottery finds in this field include IA, Rom, M-LSax as well as Med (S3). See also BRH 017, 018.
1990; Fieldwalking , produced sherds of medieval pottery (S3) (S4).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIII, 69-73; XCVI, 142; card index 22.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1949-192, 1949.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: fieldwalking finds report.
- <S3> SSF11861 (No record type): Newman J, SAU, fieldwork 1990.
- <S4> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Newman J, SCCAS 1991.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2019 1:57PM