Monument record WLV 008 - A possible Iron Age or Roman field system is visible on aerial photographs in Woolverstone Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1863 3877 (388m by 372m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Dense rectilinear field system, with several field boundaries meeting at right angles, and several lengths of trackway. Nearly all on a NW-SE axis (S1).
Fieldwalked by S Laverton et al, 1985, finds mixed, include LNeo/EBA flints, one sherd Thetford type ware and small group Med & PMed pottery and tile fragments. Details in parish file.
A possible Iron Age or Roman ditch-defined field system is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 18613875 in Woolverstone Park. The possible field system appears to be focused around two trackways. The more substantial trackway is orientated on a north-west south-east alignment and runs for 200m from TM 18483882 to TM 18663844. The other trackway or double-ditched boundary intersects at right-angles to the first at TM 18613875. These trackways do appear to be related to each other but the exact nature of that relationship is unclear. A number of linear ditches extend at right-angles from the trackways, though other ditches appear to belong to a different phase of activity. Along with other linear boundaries these appear to form the remains of rectilinear enclosures or fields. The possible field system must have been laid out before the area was emparked and its nature suggests that it could have a possible Iron Age or Roman date. (S1-S4) See WLV 044 for the undated features. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1838/1 (826/216) 07-JUL-1975.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. AP: NMR TM 1838/1/216.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXY39) 23-JUN-1976.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI35) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 1F22 0347-0348 23-JUL-1963.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 18/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM