Monument record CHL 004 - Pages Common Field (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1940 3768 (372m by 530m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CHELMONDISTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Complex, rectilinear field system just N of ring ditches, CHL 013, 014, 015. A length of trackway runs E-W at the S end of this complex, then a series of linear field boundaries can be seen intersecting to the N. A length of trackway at the N end of the complex runs SW-NE and is met by several short lengths of field boundary suggesting narrow rectangular strips as well as larger, squarer fields. Also concentric triple curved ditches on field to NE (S1)(S2).
1985: Bronze ?specialist craft hammer found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)- ?oval (?solid) section with narrow face, just over 6cms long on sketch (S3). Note BA flat axe to S - CHL 009.
February 1992: Fieldwalked by Sylvia Laverton. Listed finds including various undated objects:- ?crucible rim fragment; 2 slag; oyster shells; horseshoe etc. Details in (S4)(S5).
Also see Rom, Sax, Med & PMed.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TM 1937/1/374,375, 1975.
- <M1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: NMR TM 1937/1/374, 375; SAU AGM 25, 26; (S6).
- <S2> SSF18537 (No record type): SAU, AP AGM 25, 26, 1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S3).
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, finds ID record, received Bury December 1985, ill.
- <S4> SSF10458 (No record type): Laverton, S.. Laverton S, report & maps, February 1992.
- <S5> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. SAU, Plouviez J, finds reports (2), CHL 004, March 1992.
- <S6> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96/15/2, June 1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 11:28AM