Monument record SUY 005 - Augustine Priory (site of), Friars Street (Dominican Friary) (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8709 4094 (171m by 214m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (16th century to 18th century - 1501 AD to 1700 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CEMETERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ORCHARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VINEYARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Unknown date)
- BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- AQUEDUCT (14th century to Unknown - 1380 AD (post))
Dominican Friary (site of). Founded before 1248, dissolved in 1538. May have extended to circa 5 ha area, see (S3). In Builder's Yard. Walls, C12- C14 pottery sherds. Further details in (S2). Friars' Wall and House shown on Brewers map of Sudbury 1714 (S4). For C16- C17 (? ) timber lined well etc - see PMed.
According to daughter-in-law of a Mr Hayward, he as a boy (circa 1910) dug up stone coffins and tiles in the back garden of Priory Cottage, Friars Street (number 57?). Said to have been put in Colchester Castle Museum (S5).
Details of Med wall and finds south of Priory House in 1969 excavations, and of Med tiled floor and (PMed?) drain in (S6). HER'd area, including orchards, vineyard, bridge, dovecote & pond, defined after Badhams 1852 plan (see S6). Excludes fishery to south. Note: 'Old Priory' cottage apears to be marked as building on Badhams plan.
For aqueduct linked to Ballingdon spring see BCB 016.
- <R1> SSF15246 (No record type): OS, record card, TL84SE29.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 969-85, 1969.
- <S2> SSF11137 (No record type): Med Arch. 14, 1970, 170.
- <S3> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 123-4.
- <S4> SSF6639 (No record type): Freeman E, Sudbury's Story: A Thousand Years in the History of a Small English Town, map (copy).
- <S5> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Hayward Mrs, verbal communication to CP, 3/7/2002.
- <S6> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Heritage: The Magazine of the Sudbury & District Hist Res Gp, 1970, 4-8, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2008 1:18PM